Request for Proposals (RFP)
The Fund for Public Health in New York City (FPHNYC), on behalf of the NYC Health Department (DOHMH), is accepting applications from food retail outlets in low-income neighborhoods to develop and implement a fruit and vegetable incentive pilot program. Through this program, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) participants who use their benefits to buy fruits and vegetables will receive additional money for purchase of fruits and vegetables. The pilot program is funded through a grant from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
If you are interested in applying, please review the attached Request for Proposals (RFP) and send the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 8, 2018.
Key project details include:
- Applicants must be a food retailer located in a low-income neighborhood, sell fruits and vegetables, be authorized to accept SNAP benefits and utilize an electronic point-of-sales (POS) system to process customer transactions.
- Funding will be awarded to selected food retailers and their POS system vendor to support development and implementation of a fruit and vegetable incentive pilot program.
- The selected food retailer will receive up to $125,000 per year in fruit and vegetable incentives with the possibility for additional incentive funding depending on customer demand and funding availability. An additional $4,000 will be provided to support pilot operations.
- The selected food retailer’s POS system vendor will receive up to $10,000 to support development and implementation of an electronic infrastructure for distributing and redeeming incentives.
- Food retailer responsibilities include distributing and redeeming incentives and reporting SNAP and incentive transaction data to DOHMH. The POS system vendor will be expected to adapt the retailer’s POS system to identify items eligible for the program and distribute and redeem incentives on purchase of eligible items.
- Up to 4 retailers will be selected for this project.
Please find the RFP document here:
Please find the Q&A document here:
- Applications are due by March, 8 2018, and selected retailers will be notified by March 16, 2018. The program contract will begin in April 2018, and may be renewed each year through April 2020.
- Please send all questions to email@example.com by 11:59pm on February 15, 2018. The RFP Q&A Responses will be posted to http://fphny.org/whatsnew/rfps on February 20, 2018.